Friday 12 October 2007

The half-wit ...


You know how in your life, you're sometimes lucky enough to meet one of the good guys; one of the troupers - one of the guys, who, when the going gets tough, you just really know that they're going to be hanging in there for you.
Well I guess I might have a few mates like that.
Maguire though ...
Maguire is of a different category order altogether.
Maguire is 52, bald and ageless, and in 30 years time will look just exactly as he looks now - especially if he's dead.
Maguire has been an outstanding cheer-leader in The Well-Tempered Clavier project. Came up with the stunt for the video; ordered me to delete this initial blog in its entirety because it was "a complete and utter pile of shit"; and is also my chief running-mate.
So, as you may be able to understand, with a pal like that, I was pretty keen to give him one of the first copies of the book - which I did this morning. Wrote him a nice little note too.
He took it. And then what he did next was so touching, so poignant, that I don't think I'll ever forget it.
Because, more than anything, it showed just how much Maguire had got into the very spirit of the book ...
"Thanks very much, Bill," he said, riffling through the pages.
A minute later, he read me out loud the whole of the very last sentence of the book.
WHAT AN EFFING HALF-WIT!
Such are the friends that I am blessed to have.

No comments: