Monday 24 September 2007

Is it really based on a true story?



Hi - I've got a book out in one month's time, and this blog is, I hope, going to help turn The Well-Tempered Clavier into a bestseller. It's a love story, the tale of a 17-year-old Eton schoolboy and his 23-year-old piano mistress.

And the picture you see here is of me as a teenager - the same age, as it happens, as Kim, who is the hero of my book.

Now this story is set in 1982, and it's very much based on a true story.

But my publisher Tom is very concerned to know whether it is in fact my story - or whether I've pinched it from somebody else.

How many times do I have to tell him? "Tom," I said last week when we were in the pub. "Read my lips! It's not my story! It is the story of a "Friend"." Was it helpful to add those quote marks to the word "Friend"?

No comments: